Monday, February 16, 2009

Housewife Business Cards?

Before we left NY I had a lot of cleaning and sorting to do to get the house ready to leave for 2 years. So while I was cleaning and sorting I found a pile of old business cards and name tags from the many jobs I have had over the last 14 years.  I have had 9 different professional jobs in the last 14 years. This is not counting my jobs at Bath & Body Works (found some old soaps while cleaning- 13 years old they had kind of lost their smell) and Eddie Bauer (we brought that baby furniture with us and will not be bring it back). Anyway, I have had at least 14 different business cards(in pharmaceuticals every time you change products you get a new card and I think I have changed every year)! I am really not that fond of business cards and thought my days of cards were over, but here in China all housewives have cards. The first Friday that I had wine with my new friends they each gave me their "cards". Now these cards have all of our names on them and a very detailed map of how to get to your house? In the US, I would not be giving people cards with detailed instructions of how to get to my house (I was once convinced that a car salesman who made me mad - had googled our address, came to our house, and stole my purse out of my car. I even went to the police station and filled out a report. While at the police station filling out the report the Stop and Shop called to say someone found my purse in a shopping cart -OOPS!) I definitely didn't give out my address freely - you just never know who you can trust. Here people are handing out cards like crazy sales people. The say "You have my card - call me - we will do lunch." Now the other thing I am finding out is that "doing lunch" involves a lot of wine. Since no one drives their own cars here - there is no drinking and driving issue. However, your driver is not always available - so you can hop in a cab - hand him your card and you will most likely get home. See the card is in both English and Chinese- so I guess it is kind of like American Express - don't leave home without it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment