Monday, February 23, 2009

First Batch of Cookies in China


Ok- so finally I got some baking powder and baking soda (thanks to my sis) and decided I would try to bake some cookies. Here in China there is not a lot of sweet things. In fact I read somewhere that the Oreos here have there own recipe. They tried to sell the Oreos from the US here, but no one bought them because they were too sweet. It took them many different recipes to find one that was not too sweet. So I whipped up an old family favorite (recipe from Julie Rodgers) oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (however, I have been unable to find chocolate chips, but did find raisins so I substituted). I opened my new hand mixer (that they finally had back in stock) and went to work. First the butter is in gram measurements so a quick trip to the computer to find out how many grams are in a cup? 229.92 gms in 1 cup - I have 227 gms. Ok - close enough because that is just how life is in China. Sugar - it is soft white sugar? Like brown sugar, but white - weird but OK. Eggs - Vanilla - Flour - Oats - Raisins. So the overall dough was very dry - in fact I had to stop using my new hand mixer in fear I was going to blow it up. But I press on mixing by hand the rest of the oats and raisins. Is it dry because I was short 2.92 grams of butter(does it matter that the butter is not pasturized?)or was it the soft white sugar? Maybe the non-refrigerated quail eggs? The cookies themselves turned out OK. The kids came down to have one and I heard Mark say quitely to them "Tell your mother you love them and thank her for making them." He knew if nobody ate them I might just have a break down!

No comments:

Post a Comment