Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Ayi?

So about that cleaning lady - here in China everyone (and I mean everyone) has an Ayi. An Ayi is a maid, cook, babysitter, errand runner, etc. These women are usually Chinese, but can be Filipino (except they are illegal, but usually speak more English) and they make about $2.00/hr! Some women I have met have 2 Ayis? Everyone I meet says "Have you hired your Ayi yet?" Now I am really torn - at home in NY I worked part-time, took care of the children, cleaned(my ladies in the neighborhood knew this was my weak area), cooked, ran errands, I could go on forever since a woman's work is never done! Here - I am a stay-at-home mom (housewife is the official title here in China). So if I hire an Ayi - "what is it that I will do all day?" I asked one of my new friends. "You must be ready to lunch, if someone calls" she says. Now I am not one to turn down a lunch date to stay home and clean - so I think I would be available with or without Ayi. Kyle is still a little young to leave with someone especially who does not necessarily understand my directions so he would come with me and the other 2 boys are in school until 3pm (Ian starts tomorrow-YEA!). Cooking is kind of a passion for me - so I enjoy that. Maybe she could watch the kids while I cook dinner? Right now that is Nintendo DS time - so I am not sure they will want to play with a Chinese lady instead of Nintendo? I am all for letting someone else clean for me, but everyday from 8am-8pm? The house is a good size, but that is a lot of cleaning? Our house right now is kind of an escape from the craziness of China - do I want someone in my house all day. How can I be lazy and not feel guilty? I am so confused. Ayi or no Ayi? Maybe part-time Ayi? 

No comments:

Post a Comment