Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Taste of Home?










So after baking cupcakes for Ian's class and another cake for Ian's dinner, I decided I would suprise Mark with a sweet treat from Dunkin' Donuts for his birthday instead of another cake. There is only one in Shanghai(I knew because I saw a You Tube video of a guy finding the Dunkin' Donuts in Shanghai) and I decided Kyle and I would go on a little ride and see if we could find it. So I printed out directions in Chinese for my driver and he said he knew where it was! So off we go and here it is. I was so excited I was running with the stroller to get inside. Mark and I both love Dunkin' Donuts coffee! In fact my hope is to stay stocked with Dunkin' Donuts coffee for the next 2 1/2 years. We brought a few bags with us and we have received a few bags from home(thanks for helping us keep our stock sis - always happy to take as many as you want to send us). Well - it was no US Dunkin' Donuts, but some familiar things - the cups looked the same- and I think that was it. It looked like a groovy retro disco bar inside and I couldn't smell coffee or donuts. I smelled nothing?? When did they make these donuts? How can you make donuts and not get the sweet smell of donuts?? No ground or whole bean coffee for sale? Green tea donuts? So I got 18 donuts (I think the largest order they have ever had - they were all talking about it or me who knows?) and a small box of munchkins. I chose Boston creme, lemon filled, blueberry filled, and chocolate and strawberry with sprinkles. Once again things are not sweet here like in the US - so the donuts were more like bread with cocoa powder icing- not the wonderful sugar filled treats we love. I guess - it's the thought that counts and Mark was excited to see the box and eat the donuts that tasted like the box as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment