Sunday, March 22, 2009

Heaven in a Plastic Bottle


Since we have moved here to Shanghai our one daily treat from home has been our Dunkin' Donuts coffee with our Coffee mate creamer. We brought 2 giant bags of Dunkin' Donuts coffee from Sam's and a large bottle of self stable Coffee mate creamer(makes you wonder what is in that stuff that it does not need to be refrigerated and yet it is coffee cream? Would be a little scary in the US, but here - no big deal). We just ran out of the creamer last week and have been trying hard to find a Chinese substitute. I have bought a few varieties of powdered creamer, some sweetened condensed milk, and I found some little creamers like you get at a restaurant. Bottom line is that nothing compares to Coffee mate creamer. So Mark stopped at The City Shop(the best import market in Shanghai) on his way home from work on Friday and surprised me with 2 small bottles of Hazelnut Coffee mate!(for $7.00 each!!)When we first arrived in Shanghai we went to The City Shop and saw the creamer so my thought was that they stock Coffee mate here great - we will never be with out it. Well - you quickly find out that if you see something you want - buy it because it won't be there tomorrow. I am even finding that friends call each other when they find things and buy them all to share with their friends. Anyway what a great Saturday & Sunday morning treat! (thinking of you Traci Giles!)  It would have gone great with the  New York Times Style Section, but I read a UK InStyle magazine instead (also for $7.00). Sipping Dunkin' Donuts coffee with Hazelnut creamer and my eyes closed - it feels like home.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of you too. . . I'm not sure how you'll feel about this but I just went to Target and bought 4 of them for $1.79 each. And I am having my morning cup right now. It's the worst stuff in the world, but it makes me happy--it's so worth $7. Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. We totally stocked up at BJs before we moved to the UK!! I bought everything that we were used to, down to tp, toothpaste, and contact solution. I wish I had bought more!

    ReplyDelete