Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How you going?

Mark keeps telling me he doesn't know what to say when people ask "How is your wife adjusting to life in China?" So I have been thinking hard about how I am adjusting to life in China. Everyday at least one person says "How you going?"(It sounds funny, but this is how the Australian's ask how are you?). After a little brainstorming, I have decided I have progressed through the 5 stages of grieving. I am not sure what I am grieving - the loss of home? Anyway - the five stages of grieving are:
1. Denial - I was in denial until about 8 hours before we boarded the plane. As most people know, I found out about this little move when I was about 8 months pregnant. Therefore, I chose not to think about it until after Kyle's arrival. After Kyle arrived, I still did not want to think or talk about it. Until I boarded the plane I still thought we might not be going for sure.

2. Anger - there have been more than a few angry discussions about why we have to do this. I will stop there as to not air any more dirty laundry.

3. Bargaining - I feel myself bargaining with myself all the time. If these Dunkin Donuts are just like home, I will like it here so much more. If I can have one day were people don't stare at me and Kyle, life will seem more normal. If this mirror will actually fit in this frame, I will stop complaining about nothing working right.

4. Depression - I have up days and down days. I miss a lot of things from home especially friends and family, but overall - I think the days of crying are over.

5. Acceptance - I think I have reached this stage. I don't even look twice at a man riding a bicycle carrying a 6 drawer dresser, or the full pig hanging in the meat section at the grocery store, or the heavy smog that hangs over the city, or the guy cooking dumplings in the street cart outside Ian's school. I just say "Ni hao" and keep on walking.  This is life in China.

I guess it is time to embrace my life here. Maid - Driver - Manicure, Pedicure, & Shoulder/Head Massage for $26 - fresh flowers for $2 a bundle - 78 degree weather- fabric market. Life in China is getting better by the day.

1 comment:

  1. Acceptance is good.... you may have days when you slip back to the previous stages, and that's okay. I keep thinking about how much better our quality of life is here... living in the country, me getting to stay home, etc. We may even have the option to stay longer than 3 years, and I am considering it. The only thing, which is a BIG thing, is missing family.

    ReplyDelete