Friday, March 6, 2009

Does your Wii speak English?



Ok - so I have been anti-Wii for some time. My sister has it - my mom & dad have it - many of the kids friends have it. The kids love it and overdose on it when we visit anyone who has it. I really felt like we did not need it. At home we have TV, we have the computer, we have Jackson park, we have the town pool, we have Nintendo DS, we have so many options - we do not need Wii. Well China has broken me down and all the boys are cheering. So the boys and I decided to get Daddy a Wii for his birthday. I asked one of the orientation people to help me out and find the best place to buy a Wii that is in English. She did some research and let me know where to go. So Ian, Kyle and I head into this very illegal game store to do the deal. Here in China they sell Japanese Wii or Korean Wii. The Korean Wii has been changed to English, but can play both pirated games or games from the US. Also he changed the plug for me so it can be plugged in here or in the US. SCORE! So I tried my best to negotiate a better price and only got him down about $15(well at least I tried). The games here only cost 5 RMB(75 cents) so he threw in 2 games for free. Unfortunately he only had Wii sports in Chinese, but the boys know it so well they have no problem knowing what to click. And I can pretend they are getting a little Chinese lesson while playing. It is really strange how the writing is all in Chinese, but they still speak in English - the bowling says "Nice Strike" - the baseball says "2 base hit(instead of double)"? A night of donuts and Wii in Shanghai for birthday number 36. 

1 comment:

  1. I broke down and got the boys a Wii last summer. I understand your hesitation to get one, because now Tim wants to play it alllll the time. I almost wish mine spoke another language. At least it could be more educational that way.

    ReplyDelete