Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Designer PRL


OK - so after my last post my Mom sent me an e-mail saying I sounded like I was trying to talk to a Chinese person. Here goes that crazy accent thing again. I guess after trying to communicate all day with people who don't speak English I start talking and writing very slow and with as few words as possible. It was late and I was tired - now I think I am adjusting so hopefully the accents are over - until I met someone else. 
Anyway -I took my first trip to the fabric market today and I think I am already addicted! So much fun! My lovely Scottish neighbor Caludine was happy to expose me to the world of design. She is a pro and so many of the vendors know her - so you know she is there very often. I decided I would start pretty simple with a raincoat. It has been raining for 2 weeks straight(of course it will stop raining the day I pick up the coat I am sure). So I scoured the internet looking for what kind of style I wanted - button or zip, long or short, hood or no hood(so many decisions- I was a little worried I would have trouble because I sometimes take forever to decide and then second guess myself). I found a picture similar to this one and took it with me to the market. There are hundreds of "vendors" begging you to "make coat" or "make scarf" as you walk around through 3 floors of cottons, silks, cashmere, wool, flannel, buttons, etc. So I chose a navy waterproof fabric for the outside, a fun navy, green, and white floral cotton for the inside and white buttons. I had him add big pockets on the front and a small slit up the back. I am so excited to get it next week and all for 525 RMB($77). I also had a costume made for Nick. Next week is dress as your favorite story book character and lucky for us I packed the wolf mask I wore for the mystery reader last year. So Nick is going as BB Wolf dressed in a little suit I got made for $30! Design clothes - have them made - sell them on ebay? Who knows, but this maybe more fun than internet shopping?

1 comment: