Monday, April 6, 2009

White Sweet Potatoes; Brown Eggs

Well I am now trying to be creative and add different foods to Kyle's menu (have I said how much I love the baby food maker Aunt Kim sent us! So easy! My other 2 kids were Gerber babies all the way -so making baby food was not something that interested me, but this Beaba Babycook is the best!! Of course I have to plug it into an adapter plus 2 extension plugs to not blow it up, but sooo worth it!) Anyway - I went to the Carrefour yesterday to buy what I thought was a sweet potato. I came home peeled it and cut it open to find it was white with black spots in the middle. I immediately threw it in the trash assuming I had bought some weird Chinese root plant?? So I sent the label (written in Chinese) over to my neighbors house for her Ayi to read what it was that I bought and yes indeed it was a sweet potato? So I googled sweet potato to find that only in America are the sweet potatoes orange? We eat sweet potatoes for the carotene in them - if they are white - no carotene? So what is the point? So I headed to the import market to buy an American sweet potato. Success.

My other dilemma: brown eggs. Right before we left NY I was cleaning out the pantry and found a box of Easter Egg dye tablets. I don't know what made me think to put them in my suitcase, but I did. So everyone is so excited that we get to dye eggs. We are having the neighbors over and everyone can't wait to get the dying underway! However, all the eggs are brown. Will brown eggs work for dying? I stood in the row of eggs yesterday trying to find the lightest eggs possible, but they are still brown? We like to use white crayons to write on them and then put them in the dye? Will this work? The duck eggs are whiter, but they looked like they were pickled? Each one was shrink wrapped in the carton? This may be a huge disappointment? Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Pam,
    According to Jen at work, brown eggs will dye just fine, only colors will be deeper. Apparently she read this online. Happy egg dying!

    ReplyDelete