Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ladies night in Shanghai: Round 2


Well- I was once again invited out for a ladies night (I guess I behaved well enough to be invited back again). The crowd was a little different this time. Mostly British women with children at Dulwich and a few Americans as well with children at Dulwich. We headed over to "18 on the Bund" for a night of all you can drink champagne. Now I have become quite a light weight in the drinks department - after a nine month hiatus and with nursing it does not take too many champagnes before I feel a wee bit (British talk) tipsy! Plus I pulled out my heels, which have also taken quite a long vacation(carrying a 10 pound baby is just not easy in heels). So the combination of all you can drink champagne and heels could be a recipe for a big disaster, but with the moderation lesson I have learned from my Dad (I finally get it Dad after all those agonizing rides to Thanksgiving dinner - I finally get it!) I was able to tell when one more champagne meant a crash and burn on the heels! So anyway - it has been quite an eye opener into stay-at-home mom life in Shanghai. I know I have talked about this in previous posts, but before I left I kept thinking "what is it that women do here in Shanghai?" Now I see the lifestyle that many women live by - 3 ayis - 1 for each child and 1 for cleaning/grocery shopping/errands/etc. 1 driver - to take you wherever you want to go or to do other errands for you. Pick up dry cleaning, get light bulbs, etc. One woman goes to the gym every morning at 7:00 am before her children get up - she stays at the gym until 9am. The Ayi's are responsible for packing lunches, backpacks, and getting the children to school. She stops on her way home for a massage - "must have a good massage after a workout". Back home to shower - out to lunch for a little food and a lot of cocktails. Off to shopping or spa. Ayi's get kids from school and take them to their after school activities. Home for dinner(cooked by Ayi) with children. Off to ladies night - Ayi's to put children to bed. Home from ladies night at 4:30 am. Now I am still considered a "newbie" here, but I just don't see myself ever turning into this kind of mom. Sure I have my Calgon take me away moments, but isn't part of being able to stay home to be with your children?? This life feels almost surreal. People say take advantage of it while you are here, but then how do you go back to normal? I still make the kids clean up their mess- they still battle with me and many families just let the Ayi do it, but no one needs to get that spoiled. Call me the mean Mom - I don't care. You make the mess - you clean it up (except for your bathrooms, laundry, vacuuming, dusting and the kitchen - maybe I am a hypocrite?)

2 comments:

  1. Do Nick & Ian have to empty the dishwasher yet?! Ian gets the utensils only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dreams have finally come true--you get it and chores!!!

    Papa Jo

    ReplyDelete