Monday, April 20, 2009

What the bloody hell is Hamburger Helper?

I have started this post a couple times and then had a hard time wording what I am thinking - so I keep saving it and them coming back to it. Well, the other day I was talking to some British women and one says "What the bloody hell is Hamburger Helper?"(When the import markets are low on stock they will fill an entire aisle with Hamburger Helper - I am not sure why there is an abundance of the stuff?) The other British woman says "I think it is seasoning to help you make hamburger patties?" Now of course I know what Hamburger Helper is - I haven't made it a lot at home, but every now and then when I am in a dinner rut I have been known to make a big skillet full of the stuff (Mark actually likes it). But do I admit to knowing what it is or play dumb like I am way too sophisticated for HH? They are both looking at me for the answer. So I start to explain what is in the mysterious box. "Well you buy a pound(or 450 gm in metric system) of ground beef and brown the meat. Inside the box is a bag of dried pasta and a packet of powdered cheesy sauce stuff that you mix with milk and pour in with the beef and noodles....?" "So it makes a skillet full of mush?" she asks. "Basically - yes". Of course they are looking at me like - you would eat that and feed it to your family? One woman says,"Have you looked at the ingredients in that stuff? I had no idea what most of the stuff was in there." So this starts me thinking about all the things I used to buy in the US - convenience items. These items are like drugs - you eat them and become addicted to them - wanting more and more processed sugars and carbs. So hard to eat just one. Then there are the commercials showing you and telling you how good these foods are - how easy to make - kids will love them, etc. Kids begging for this cereal and that cookie. It is really terrible. Since the only TV we get here for the kids is Nickelodeon and it comes from the Philippines we have none of this- if they ask for something I say "Sorry - only in the Philippines not here in China."  There is such a weight and health issue in the US due to all these convenience foods and yet we are creating it ourselves. My neighbor recently traveled to LA on business and said he was shocked by the portion sizes at the restaurants. He asked for a half order of mashed potatoes and the waitress said "We can't do that, but we can give you a doggie bag to take home." He said "Why in bloody hell (very common British phrase) would I want a doggie bag of mashed potatoes!" Being here has really made me realize how truly addicted I was to all these tasty time bombs. But I must say the withdraw is hard. Mark and I many nights search for something sweet to satisfy that super sweet tooth we both have. The other night Mark discovered some candy in his jacket pocket left over from a trip to the movies in NY. A few rounds of rock, paper, scissors and then we decided to just share it - biting Starburst in half and savoring every morsel. Of course afterward I found myself craving even more - see?...like a drug!  Is there rehab for this?? 

5 comments:

  1. I don't know these British friends of yours, but I do know that the Brits around here sometimes make meals that look like a big pile of mush (and taste a lot worse than Hamburger Helper). And it's usually covered in gravy with a side of chips (fries)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know they make everything into pies! Fish pies, flavor of the day Shepherd's pie, anything with mashed potatoes on the top! They just opened a Marks & Spencer here?? Do you have one there? What store would you compare it to in the US? Target? Just trying to decide if it is worth the 45 minute trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say Marks & Spencer is comparable to Macy's. I think in UK they also have a food section. That seems to be the thing with their big dept stores - Harrod's has a magnificent food shop and also Fortnum & Mason.
    I also agree with your reflections on fast food here. It's so bad nutritionally, but is quick and easy, so we eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to stop being anonymous in my posting. Loved the photos of Kyle on the bed and in the sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathie's right- M&S is a department store in the UK, and yes, it usually has a food department. If the store there has food, I would high tail it over there ASAP.

    ReplyDelete