Thursday, April 9, 2009

Ladies night in Shanghai


We - The Ladies of Larch Road - like to try to get together at least every couple months for a night out with the girls. We usually pick a nice restaurant in Westchester and head out for a night of dinner, wine and woman talk(I will say no more and let the men continue to guess what we talk about until midnight!) So when my neighbor invited me out to ladies night I was excited to find out what kind of restaurant we would be going to. Well - ladies night is a little different here in Shanghai. My neighbor informs me we are headed to Hong Qiao (45 minute ride) to go dancing to the soulful music of Carlton J. Smith. So off we go in her van with the champagne flowing freely (since we are not driving and there is no open container law here). We arrive at a Marriott and head to the bar/lounge area to meet the rest of our clan - 4 Dutch women, 2 Scottish, 1 Irish, and good old Mid-western me. Now the ladies had warned me that he likes to draw attention to new people he meets and since it was the eve of my birthday- I knew I was probably in for some trouble. After a few songs, he called me up to the middle of the dance floor, had me sit on a chair, put a Michael Jackson type hat on my head and sang "You Can Leave your Hat on" by Joe Cocker from the infamous movie 9 1/2 weeks! Anyway - it was a very fun night of drinks and dancing with the ladies (Ladies of Larch - he is from NY and plays in the city all the time - so we will be going when I get back)! And as we were riding home( at 12:30 AM) in Brenda's blue Buick mini-van with the Chinese driver and 3 women speaking Dutch - I could not help but feeling like I was in some bizarre dream, but no - it is just my new life in China!

No comments:

Post a Comment